Thursday, May 31, 2007

Chance

My son, Chance, was only an infant at three months old, but was starting an adventure. We stepped off the bus and away from the hum of the engine and the noise of other commuters. The early morning sun was bright and warmed our faces in the cool winter air. My son and I cautiously walked through double doors that lead into his first daycare. The short woman behind the desk smiled at us and began searching through a stack of papers, looking specifically for the ones pertaining to my son. I was so nervous that everything she said was a blur except, “Let me show you to his room,” in a distinct North Carolina drawl. One of the florescent lights flickered, casting shadows on the kid’s artwork in the hallway.

A teacher’s aide asked that I return to the front because someone was here to see me. I paused for a moment, checking my mental files for anyone who knew I was there. A slender woman with short brown hair and dressed in casual work-out attire stood at the front.

The sun cast an orangish glow behind her as she said, “I saw you this morning on Providence Rd.” I looked at her confused but nodded my head in agreement.

She continued, “I went to my yoga class and was on my way home when I saw you getting off the bus here.” I held Chance tight and thought back to the bus ride that took an hour and a half. A gentle look came across her face and she reached for my hand.

“God told me you needed money. This is all I have but it is for you,” she said as she slipped a folded up bill into my hand. I was without words.

All I could muster was “Thank you,” and fumbled for something else to say. She then turned on her heels and walked away. I stood in the hallway and watched her drive away, finally realizing the money in my hand. I began to unclasp my fist and just saw the corner of a twenty dollar bill. I had to focus on getting my son settled in for a long day and put the cash in my back pocket for later. To this day, I still am in awe in the selfless act of love and kindness most people rarely see.

No comments: